I learned about Chakras during a course I did a few months ago and the concepts really fascinated me. I really had to expand my curiosity and open my awareness to fully appreciate the intangible forces that play a part in our physical and emotional health as well as our intuition and greater consciousness.
Chakra literally means ‘wheel’ and Chakras can be described as energy wheels or vortexes within the body. Becoming aware of and working with the Chakras is a highly emotional, intuitive and experimental experience and I have found myself more ‘awake’ after unblocking some of my chakras.
Before we begin deconstructing each chakra and what tools you can use to help heal and align each, I want you to understand that the premise behind Chakras is that we have a subtle or etheric body that is beyond our physical body which vibrates at a higher frequency and is thus not visible to the eye. When chakras become blocked, we can see the physical manifestation of that blockage as pain within the physical body. For example, if you have a sore throat, this is a physical symptom of a blocked throat chakra. It is also important to note that many of the current energy patterns that you have were inherited from your ancestors. Just like the entire first chapter of Live Awake, it all begins with unpacking, understanding and making the choice to say yes to a new way of thinking and therefore living.
There are actually 108 Chakras or ‘energy centres’ located in the body and I will be discussing the seven main Chakras; Root, Sacral, Solar Plexus, Heart, Throat, Brow and Crown. I found acknowledging the Earth and Soul Star I was able to gain a deeper understanding into the Chakras as a whole as well as deepen my connection with those energies but for simplicity, I will not be addressing them here.
The Root Chakra is located at the base of the tailbone and encoupases stability. When this Chakra is balanced we will feel grounded, protected and safe but when it is unbalanced it can affect nearly every aspect in your life.You might experience dizzy spells or vertigo, feelings of anxiousness or nervousness, stagnation in relationships or unable to make progress in your life. A lot of energy workers and Reiki practitioners will work from the bottom Chakras up because if the Root Chakra is clear and functioning well then we will move more confidently in the world. Athen Perrakis explains in her book The Ultimate Guide to Chakras, “if you manifest from an ungrounded place, your creations will be temporal and fleeting. Imagine building a house without a solid foundation. You wouldn’t even attempt it would you? Well, then, neither should you attempt to create or manifest from a place of ungrounded floating in the ethers.”
There are some simple ways you can unblock and open Your Root Chakra which include:
• Working with crystals such as black tourmaline, onyx, red aventurine or red jasper
• Belly breathing
• Walking barefoot in nature
• Being present and in the moment
• Using the mantras “I am safe” and “I have a right to be me just as I am”
• Make an essential oil roller blend to apply to your root area that includes Cedarwood which is the oil of community, Myrrh which is the oil of Mother Earth, Patchouli which is the oil of physicality or Frankincense which is the oil of truth.
We then move up to The Sacral Chakra which sits between the reproductive organs right in the centre of your abdomen. This Chakra represents our creative potential and relationships. Signs that the Sacral Chakra is blocked or unbalanced can include things such as working to exhaustion, denial of self pleasures or unable to celebrate milestones, unhappy with body, always doing and never resting, depression, guilt and problems with kidneys or recurrent urinary tract infections.
There are some simple ways you can unblock and open Your Sacral Chakra which include:
• Working with crystals such as Topaz, Orange Calcite, Sunstone, Carnelian and Goldstone
• Scheduling in some ‘you’ time into your calendar
• Dancing or moving your body
• Looking at yourself in the mirror and stating your most attractive feature
• Use the mantras “I embrace my unique beauty” and “I allow my emotions to flow through me”
• Make an essential oil roller blend to apply to your sacral area that includes Neroli which is the oil of shared purpose and partnership; Ginger which is the oil of empowerment or Tangerine which is the oil of gladness and creativity.
The Solar Plexus is located approximately two finger widths above the belly button. This Chakra encompasses personal power and possibility, self esteem and self worth. I have found a lot of women I have worked with have a blocked Solar Plexus Chakra as they experience low self worth and low self-confidence, difficulties accepting and deeply loving themselves as well as a sense of powerlessness. Other signs that the Sacral Chakra is blocked or unbalanced can include things like the ego taking over and not being able to own who you are, not knowing what it is you want in life, exhausted from constantly trying too hard, the want to be more assertive and recurrent allergies.
There are some simple ways you can unblock and open Your Solar Plexus Chakra which include:
• Working with crystals such as Amber, Citrine, Golden Calcite, Pyrite, Tigers Eye or Yellow Fluorite
• Roar like a lion
• Clean out and organizing physical spaces
• Set boundaries
• Make a 5 year plan and working backwards
• Use the mantras “I am powerful and capable” and “I have abundant energy”
• Make an essential oil roller blend to apply to your Solar Plexus area that includes Cinnamon which is the oil of sexual harmony; Lemon which is the oil of focus or Lemongrass which is the oil of cleansing.
Next up is the Heart Chakra which, you guessed it, sits over the physical heart. This chakra represents unconditional love and acceptance. Athena explains this chakra beautifully when she says “here sits heartache as well as deepest affection; here sits the ability to hold, heal, and help the entire planet, the entire universe; and here sits compassion for all people in all places across time.” If we are finding it hard to receive or give love, to be compassionate or forgiving with yourself or others then this Chakra may be blocked. Other signs that the Heart Chakra is blocked or unbalanced is when it feels as though relationships are not in flow, physical wounds won’t heal, you feel out of touch with and possibly unkind to your body, you want to be more connected with nature and you want to rise above hatred and jealousy.
There are some simple ways you can unblock and open Your Heart Chakra which include:
• Working with crystals such as Ruby, Rose Quartz or Rhodochrosite
• Perform random acts of kindness
• Practise gratitude
• Create a sacred space and visit it often
• Place hands over heart and breathe
• Asking your partner “How open is my heart to you?
• Use the mantras “I forgive naturally and easily”, “I maintain healthy emotional boundaries” and “I am fully open to receiving love
• Make an essential oil roller blend to apply to your Heart area that includes Rose which is the oil of divine love; Geranium which is the oil of love and trust, Ylang Ylang which is the oil of the inner child or Marjoram which is the oil of connection.
The Throat Chakra is located at the centre of your physical throat or the adam’s apple and represents truth. A lot of people feel that the Throat Chakra is about how you communicate and forget that what is more important is the what. The what is your Truth. It is your deepest wisdom and how you share that wisdom with the world. Signs that the Throat Chakra is blocked or unbalanced is when you are finding it hard to speak up or to speak what you know is your truth, to be unable to express yourself freely, would like to be more creative but don’t know how, you talk too much and can’t sit in silence, you second guess yourself or you suffer from sore throat and sinus issues.
There are some simple ways you can unblock and open Your Throat Chakra which include:
• Working with crystals such as Aquamarine, Angelite, Lapis Lazuli, Blue Lace Agate, Blue Kyanite and Blue Apatite.
• Humming or chanting
• Massaging the neck
• Shoulder rolls
• Use the mantras “I allow the truth to speak through me” and “I am heard”
• Make an essential oil roller blend to apply to your Throat area that includes Spearmint which is the oil of divine confident speech; lavender which is the oil of communication or Frankincense which is the oil of truth.
Next up the chain is the Brow or Third Eye Chakra and it is located between your eyebrows. It is the centre for Intuition and inner knowing. Having an open Brow Chakra can mean having foresight, becoming psychic and tapping into one of the clairs, clarity in thought and a heightened sense of self. Signs that the Brow Chakra is blocked or unbalanced could be feeling unclear, unable to see something from another perspective, difficulty concentrating or unfocused, not trusting your intuition, getting tangled up in others drama or frequent headaches.
There are some simple ways you can unblock and open Your Brow Chakra which include:
• Working with crystals such as Amethyst, Clear Quartz, Labradorite, Moonstone and Unakite
• Note any intuitive thoughts in a diary
• Keep a dream journal
• Ask the universe a questions and wait for the answer
• Use the mantras “My mind is clear and I have an open mind” and “I see beauty and goodness all around me”
• Make an essential oil roller blend to apply to your brow area that includes Clary Sage which is the oil of clarity and vision; Sandalwood which is the oil of sacred devotion or Cypress which is the oil of motion and flow.
The Crown Chakra sits at the top of your head and represents pure consciousness. It is our connection to god/universe/source/creator. When in balance we feel oneness, awareness, faith, enlightenment, vision, openennes, wisdom and total alignment. Signs that the Crown Chakra is blocked or unbalanced could be that you are looking for richer spiritual life but don’t know how to have one, an irrational fear of dying, being angry at source or god for things that happen to you or in the world, you would like a deeper self knowledge and you think alot about nature.
There are some simple ways you can unblock and open Your Crown Chakra which include:
• Working with crystals such as Lepidolite, Selenite, Clear Apophyllite, Clear Calcite and white Agate.
• Practice forgiveness and embrace human imperfections
• Surrender your problem to a higher power
• Use the mantras “I am connected and supported to the universe” and “I walk in peace and harmony”
• Make an essential oil roller blend to apply to the top of your head that includes Rose which is the oil of divine love; Frankincense which is the oil of truth or Spikenard which is the oil of gratitude.
Let’s take this opportunity to question whether you have any unbalanced chakras and your thoughts of tapping into this concept.
• Am I willing to play with the idea that energy centres are located within my body?
• Noting the above descriptions, can I identify a Chakra within me that is unbalanced or blocked?
• Do I have any physical symptoms that I could attribute to a blocked Chakra? • Having identified any blocked Chakras, what can I do to balance them?
If you are ready to finally ready to drop the diets and step away from the “quick fixes” and step into sustainable nutrition then click the button below. I offer four group coaching programs each year as well as one on one nutrition coaching.