When we look at wellness with a holistic lens, sleep routine and quality of sleep need to be addressed. Lately, I have come across a number of women who are finding it hard to firstly, fall asleep then have a good quality sleep. Waking up with little to no energy, brain fog, lack of motivation and physically exhausted.
There maybe more to the story and other underlying factors that could be contributing to this for example –
- Water consumption
- Alcohol consumption
- Caffeine consumption
- Screen Time
But I thought I would put together a little “starter” checklist, for those who want to streamline their night time routine and set themselves up for a better nights sleep. These are my non-negotiables –
- Ensure I have the same bedtime every night. Monday through to Sunday regardless of weekends.
- Ensure my room is well ventilated, dark and quiet.
- Ensure the house has dim lighting to prepare the body for sleep.
- Ensure screens are turned off 1 hour minimum before bed.
On top of this, I also –
- Set up the diffusers with calming and grounding essential oils in all rooms of the house.
- Write down my to do list for tomorrow to close down the tabs in my head.
- Journal to shift energy from my body into something else.
- Read at least 5 pages of a book.
- Have a ZMA (Zinc and Magnesium) drink
- Have a light stretch or yon yoga session
The above rituals are not set in stone. Some nights I might only get to journal and that is ok. Surrendering to what is and being ok with not “checking everything off my list”. If I get to do more then its a bonus.
These rituals are supporting me physically and mentally. Preparing my body to rest and recover.
If you are wanting to breakdown your specific routines to elevate your health, then book in a one on one wellness consulthttps://calendly.com/chloebreekingsford/wellnessconsult with me below.