Ive always been a morning person for as long as I can remember. I would be up and the rest of the house would be sleeping.
There is something special about being up before the world. To be able to soak in some precious alone time (especially if you have kids). But what you do, even if it is for 15mins can really set you up for the day.
I have done my fair share of research on how successful people start their day and I am glad to note, I do a lot of the same things they do. Successful people get up super early, here are my reasons:
- My husband gets up at 430am so I would basically just lay in bed until 5am anyways so whats another half an hour?
- With two little kids its tough to carve out some time once they are up. Lets face it, it becomes all about them.
- It gets me in the right headspace. Filling my cup means I can give more during the day without having a meltdown.
- Invest in myself instead of picking up my phone and scrolling, filling my head with noise.
So, here are a few examples of what my early morning routine includes, noting that some days it might be 5mins then a child is up!
- Drink 500ml of water with doTERRA’s Smart & Sassy Essential Oil. Containing Grapefruit Peel, Lemon Peel, Peppermint Plant, Ginger Root, and Cinnamon Bark essential oils, this Active Blend is perfect for stimulating digestion and ramping up the metabolism. Drinking 500ml in itself helps “break the fast” from sleeping and rehydrates the body. You could also try adding Apple Cider Vinegar, fresh lemon, grated ginger, pepper or salt.
- Drink a cold pressed juice. My gorgeous husband gave me such a practical gift for our anniversary – a cold pressed juicer and I am obsessed! Yes they might be an up front cost but they are well worth it for the health benefits. Would you eat half a pineapple, 3 cups of spinach, 1 green apple, 3 celery stalks, 2 cups of water melon, ginger, 3 broccoli stalks, half a bunch of kale and 1 cucumber in a day? If so well done! It is just a super quick way to jam pack a heap of nutrients and vitamins into your diet which can assist in mental fog, weight management, gut health, immunity and so much more!
- Roll out the yoga mat! I am so stiff in the morning its crazy. Might have something to do with carrying around two kids all day! I absolutely love yin yoga – slow and deep. I only do about 10 poses but I stay in them for a few minutes each. Great way to gently wake up the body. This can be done while sipping on the water or juice.
- Set my intentions for the day. How would I like this day to play out? Do I want to approaching parenting with more patience? Do I want to approach myself with more self love? Setting intentions create our reality. Very powerful stuff.
- Write down THREE main things you would like to get done today (and then celebrate them when they are done). Yes you might get more done, but we don’t want to get in the habit of writing 15 things down, only doing 7 then beating ourselves up for it.
- Read 10 pages of a book. I have 3 books in my bedside table (The Good Hustle, Peaceful Parent Happy Kids and Essential Glow). If I actually make it to this point without a kid already waking up then this is massive and a big big win!
Can you imagine giving that time to yourself. Even if you were to do one of the above you would be investing in your health – physically and mentally.
Are you committed to creating a sacred morning routine?